The Hawaii Healthcare Emergency Management’s Disaster Medical Response Team (Kalawao Rescue) is a deployable,non-federal medical team which is part of the medical surge capability within the HPP program. All team members are volunteer professionals.
The team is led by Team Commander and consists of over 110 credentialed healthcare professionals. The team is capable of activating and deploying a ten-person medical strike team within 2 to 4 hours of request and a full 36-member (main body) team within 12 hours to meet the unique needs of Hawaii.
• Patient volume: 125+ pts/24 hr.
Healthcare professionals on the team include:
• Physicians (MD, DO)
• Registered Nurses (RN)
• Physician Assistants (PA)
• Adv. Practice Registered Nurses (APRN)
• Psychologists (PhD)
• Pharmacists (RPH, Pharm D.)
• Paramedics (MICT)
• Respiratory Therapists (RT)
Support and administrative personnel include:
Capabilities include the provision of:
• 20- to 150-bed portable field treatment facilities
• Aeromedical critical care transport
• Contingency hospital augmentation
• Response to mass casualty incidents and major transportation accidents
• Medical care of individuals affected by acts of terrorism involving chemical, biological, and radiological agents
• Infectious disease care and patient movement under bio-containment
• Veterinary care of service animals
• Initial care of deceased human remains
• Support for National Special Security Events (NSSE) and other large public events such as air shows
• Establishing and managing an isolation and quarantine unit.
• Establishing alternative care sites and/or medical shelters.